Out and about with Elkie

 June 24, 2021 


                                                Here's Elkie checking her Scent Male. 

I spend quite a bit of time with email. Too much time perhaps, certainly too much time online. My 'lifeline' during the pandemic might be the ice berg that sinks my diet, and my health. Glad I got out for a nice long 60 minute 3-mile walk this morning. Ran into some former neighbors (who were not all that neighborly) coming back toward my street. They crossed the street and called out my name, so we chatted and did a practice Elkie greet. They did well and Elkie is learning.

So my co-raiser last Saturday before our Sunday swap texts me that she believes Elkie has kennel cough, contracted 'at the vet's office'. Which is highly unlikely. Her boarding dog & her dog Willow show no signs. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Means I had to go to the vet to pick up meds, cancel Tuesday class, cancel Friday play date and probably the Saturday class. In addition, she has another boarder dog (in addition to her own dog) so she planned on sending Elkie to a dog sitter next week - which she can't do, so bingo I have to keep her next week, too. 

So is she coughing, not so I notice other than a little when she drinks a lot of water and when she eats my native grass. Not the hacking associated to the condition. No other symptoms as well. Plus she was just at the vets for her Bordetella booster. 

Oh well, it's not that I don't want Elkie, it's that I need a break in order to take care of things and go a few places. I try to be flexible (I didn't even know she had planned on sending Elkie to a sitter during her week), and her plan for the whole month of August till after Labor Day is for me to have Elkie full-time while she spends the month in Indiana instead of the 10 days we originally planned for. This so she can rent out her condo for cash. 

Shoot, I ranted too much...sorry. Our walk was lovely today, 75 degrees of sunshine. 




Here's my other new hat, my arms are not long enough to take a selfie...maybe I should get a stick.
 





Comments

  1. Oh that Elkie is a beauty! And I suspect: better behaved than our Henry who could really use a "refresher" of obedience classes! Haven't seen any offered yet post pandemic but keeping an eye out! I so wish that dear Elkie could come and stay with us while you have a bit of a break: Henry would love her company and he has such a nice run where they could play together! Maybe she'd persuade him to try swimming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have to be careful, raising a dog like Elkie for a career of service. There are rules! You're doing so well, too. I hope that you get a break, though, because it's a BIG job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am so lazy...crazy storms last night! Elkie update.

Come One, Come All